Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"Hey, Can I Take Your Picture?"

That one question sums up how I spent my free time for the past few days. In my photojournalism class, we had to shoot "mugshots" of 36 people we didn't know for our first assignment. This was meant to help us get used to using the camera and to talking to complete strangers. "You can't be shy as a photojournalist," my teacher reminded us.

36 people we didn't know -- this was a little nerve wracking but definitely doable. I started by going to a park near my house in Snellville last Sunday and hitting up parents of little leaguers. I got a few families to agree to help, as well as a few strange looks from passersby. I found the project much easier to complete when I walked around the Tate Student Center yesterday. I decided to start with people standing at tables set up -- why not solicit those who are already soliciting? I had to sign a petition and take a free volleyball poster, but it was worth it. I also stopped by a frat house...that's where I took the majority of my photos.

And having a really nice camera doesn't hurt, either. Every student taking JOUR 3610 gets issued a Canon camera to use throughout the semester. I had to sign a waiver (aka sign my life away to the Grady College) agreeing to their "you break it, you buy it" policy. My camera is worth a whopping $1,400; therefore it's my baby this semester.

No comments: