Thursday, August 09, 2007

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane...

"Time it was /
And what a time it was /
It was a time of innocence /
A time of confidences /

Long ago it must be /
I have a photograph /
Preserve your memories /
They're all that's left of you..."
-Simon and Garfunkel, Bookends Theme

So it's here...our last full day in Oxford. I've packed most of my stuff and I've gone to almost all of my favorite places for the last time. I've taken pictures with friends and bought my Trinity College hoodie. We had our final Kavoori class today (and we sang the song above before we left) and we're going to hang out together as a class one more time in University Parks today. But leaving Oxford is going to be difficult.

I guess I should explain the picture as well. This is my friend Kristen's picture (she's on the far left) of some of the girls in our class doing the quintessential Kavoori pose before one of our High Table dinners. I'm going to miss them and the rest of my friends here.

But the bright side? "I'm leaving on a jet plane" and coming back to my friends and family in the States! And I think I'll have a greater appreciation for certain things in America. For example:
  • Drinking glasses and ice. The glasses they give you in the dining hall and in restaurants are REALLY small -- they look more like large shot glasses. And when you get water in a restaurant, you get about 2 ice cubes per gallon of water. LAME. I want to go somewhere in the States where I can get a massive cup of something when I get back!
  • The value of the dollar. Basically, the dollar is worth NOTHING here in England. The exchange rate is 1 British pound = 2 American dollars. My money will actually mean something again when I go home! Hooray!
  • Contact with family and friends. Since my cell phone refuses to cooperate and I'm literally an ocean away, my contact with friends and family has been rather limited. This blog has helped, along with my e-mail and Facebook (for those who use it). But it'll be nice to be able to call people when I want and to see their faces regularly.
I can't wait to see my family and friends at the airport!

No comments: