Thursday, July 05, 2007

Born in the U.S.A.

Happy late 4th of July to all! As you can probably imagine, there's not a whole lot of July 4th celebration in England, but there were plenty of American students from my program perpetuating the stereotype of the obnoxious American last night. Most notably the drunk student I could hear in the quad outside my window singing the chorus of "Born in the U.S.A."

I also got to speak with my friends and family that I normally spend the 4th with...I miss them and hope they had a blast at the celebrations at Lenox last night. "Is it an alllllll play?"

What's also interesting about the "Born in the U.S.A." reference is its correlation with my international mass communication class with Dr. Andy Kavoori from UGA. This ranks high on my list of favorite classes in college, and that's saying something (considering we've had 3 days of class in total). We sang bits from that song in celebration of the 4th, and one of the kids in my class noted the irony in singing it on the holiday. If you listen to the lyrics, it's clearly referencing the Vietnam War and doesn't really serve as a good patriotic, nationalistic anthem, he said. Good point.

But seriously, this class with Dr. Kavoori is great. Our class is mainly discussion based, and we've got a great class of extremely interesting people. Yesterday, the class invited Kavoori to a local pub called the White Horse for some obnoxious 4th of July celebration, but he told us this morning in class that he couldn't go because he was taking his kids around the city all day on the 4th. One of my more animated classmates, Jen, walks in and immediately yells, "Kavoori! Where were you last night?" The entire class erupted in laughter. Then we went into a detailed discussion of his novel, The Children of Shahida, and how history and memory relate to one another in a book about three generations of an Indian family. The books is really good -- it's told in three parts, with the narrators sharing stories and thoughts on family life, culture, and other topics.

At the end of the discussion, he asked us how we thought he should market his book. "I need to sell about 5,000 copies, so how should I do it?" he asked us. My classmates and I came up with a number of ideas, ranging from easily manageable to completely ridiculous. Here are just a few:
  • make a video of a scene from the book or make a movie trailer for it and post it on YouTube
  • go to the Indian Cultural Exchange club at UGA (which is the largest student organization on campus)
  • find a way onto a tv show like the Today Show or get the book added to Oprah's Book Club list
  • the idea his son came up with -- rename it Harry Potter and the Children of Shahida
  • make a Facebook or Myspace group (for those who don't know, these are popular websites for teenagers and college students) to promote it
  • get it on other book club lists
The possibilities are endless.

EDIT 1: More pictures here!

2 comments:

Mia said...

1. "perpetuating the stereotype of the obnoxious American" Claire you sound like me! :P
2. His book looks interesting...I think I shall read it. But don't get too excited, I've only finished reading 2 books this summer. And together they totaled only ~350 pages. Don't laugh at my illiteracy!

Mia said...

HAHHAH Harry Potter and the Children of the Shahida. You slay me!