Sunday, July 01, 2007

"A Rainy Day in London Town"

8:37 p.m. Oxford time
I'm finally here!

Jolly old England. Oxford, to be more precise. I'm staying in a dorm at Trinity College, right on Broad Street in the heart of Oxford. The trip here was...interesting...but it doesn't matter now because I'm loving it here!

The flight from Atlanta to London was pretty enjoyable. We departed at about 6:45 p.m. Atlanta time and arrived earlier than predicted (6:45 instead of the previously anticipated 7:30) early in the morning in London. I've definitely decided that international flights beat the pants off domestic flights -- better (and more) food, a personal screen at every seat, plenty of radio/movie choices, higher ceilings, and flight attendants with British accents in my case. Word to the wise, though -- if you want to sleep sometime on the flight, either take something like Tylenol PM or get a first class seat where you can recline your seats all the way back. Otherwise, don't count on getting much sleep.

Once we arrived, the only real hitch was making it through the passport check-in area and finding our bus to Oxford. The masses of people arriving into Gatwick Airport (including myself and my fellow UGA at Oxford people) stood in long, zig-zagging lines to reach the five or so desks where attendants stamped your passport. It seemed very unorganized if you ask me...

I slept on the bus ride between London and Oxford and woke up when we were heading into the main streets of Oxford. I've taken lots of pictures already, which will be up in the next few days. My single occupancy room with loft next to the Broad Street entrance and the Trinity Library definitely helps lol. And I've already walked along the main parts of town.

My first stops were, of course, at the several bookstores within a block of campus. I reserved my copy of the last Harry Potter book and bought my remaining textbooks. Can I just say that Blackwell's 3-story bookstore makes me so happy -- there should be more bookstores like that in the States!

More to come soon. I'm off to bed. Thanks for reading and I'll post again soon!

1 comment:

Alison said...

i adore you :) i'm so glad you're loving it already! i can't wait to see pictures.