Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Tree Lady

Life is not seasonal

It's a flowing
fountain
stream

See the reflections
of
nature's beauty

In its clear waters
and
so

purely live

I was lucky enough the other day to meet the author of this poem and receive a copy of it in the card you see pictured here with the poem printed inside.

Who is this mystery poet, you ask? Well, I was introduced to her as "The Tree Lady." She sits on a bench near Christ Church College in Oxford, feeding the ducks and drawing pictures of the natural world around her. Her wizened features and soft-spoken nature make a wonderfully interesting combination. My friend Katherine Smith and I spent at least half an hour talking to her on Friday-- she told us stories of the trees around us and shared her poetry and sketches. I would have provided a picture of her too, but she believes that taking a picture of her steals her soul, and I didn't want to disrespect her beliefs. But she was probably one of the most fascinating people I've ever spoken to.

As we sat with her and listened to her stories, several people walked by and stared at her. Yes, it's human nature to notice someone or something that looks a little out of the ordinary, but more people should take the time to speak to her. She's full of interesting anecdotes and poetry for the person who stops to chat.

The next day, Katherine and I went to the Oxford Botanical Gardens, and instantly we thought about The Tree Lady living there. She did, you know, for 5 years. It's hard to imagine actually living in a botanical garden, but clearly it's possible. And now I can't help but walk by willow trees and think of the story she told about Samantha the willow tree, who has stood behind her bench for years.

No comments: