Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Baby Steps

As of late, I've realized just how afraid I am of challenging myself. I'm afraid to take really hard classes. I hesitate to challenge where I am in my faith because I'm content to stay right where I am. I'm afraid to go past the "Easy" setting in Guitar Hero. And I'm afraid to tell people how I feel about something because I'm afraid of their reaction. If I have something on my mind, I can write about it, tell the friends that it doesn't affect, think about it at great length. But when it comes to telling them, I chicken out. At first, I set a deadline. "I'll talk to them about it tomorrow when I see them." But the time comes and I freeze. I can't bring myself to express what's going on inside.

Once I find my comfort zone, I stay there and tell myself that I'm content where I am--why mess with a good thing, right?

Wrong.

It's easy to stay right where you are, to convince yourself that if you just continue on the track you're on, things are going to be okay. But how do you grow as a person if you're content to stay exactly where you are for the rest of your life? Let me answer my own question--you don't. So now that I've realized this, where do I go from here?

Baby steps. I'm working on it one little step at a time. For example, I played a few select songs on Guitar Hero on the "Medium" setting today. I know that sounds lame, but I'm trying. And I went to a Bible study group last night...I'd never been to one before last night. But I tried it, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Like I said--baby steps.

3 comments:

jinx protocol said...

You should take "Guitar Hero" to your Bible Study Group and play Cowboys from Hell on Medium...what kind of step do you think that would be?

Claire Miller said...

hahahahaha i'll try that and let you know what happens. :)

jinx protocol said...

Fun. Awesome. I'm glad you're replying now! I thought I was just posting at my screen or something!