Friday, September 08, 2006

"I Don't Wanna Be A Stupid Girl"

I opened up the Red and Black this morning, as I do every morning as I walk to class, and what did I find? An editorial from a girl that needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Right smack dab in the middle of the editorial section, sophomore Eli Dillard wrote that our generation (of men) is devoid of manners and politeness. Apparently, men aren't allowed to sit on the bus unless every single female is sitting. Wait, what? What sort of logic is that? In my humble opinion, I think that members of both sexes should be able to sit. I believe that's the point in riding the bus--sitting as it takes you to your destination (gender aside). It's nice if a guy offers his seat to me, but I don't think it's something that all girls should automatically expect.

She then moves into a more feminist approach, saying that since women can vote and hold office now like men, we should have the doors opened for us by those men. To me, that seems a bit contradictory. We're equals but men should open doors and give up seats? I don't think so.

Towards the end of the piece, she briefly turns the blame to women. She says that girls objectify themselves by the way they dress and behave, ergo men don't respect women who don't respect themselves. But wait...it gets better...she says that if men had boobs, they'd do the same. Suuure. So women might be to blame, but men would be to blame either way. Uh huh.

So here's what I think: If guys want to open the door for me or give up a seat on the bus, then so be it. That's nice. I'll thank them for the gesture. BUT it's not disrespectful (in my opinion) if they don't. I don't think men sit there and say, "Hmm...I think I'll be selfish and keep sitting in my seat on the bus today." Besides, girls can open doors and offer seats too. What if some guy with a broken leg and crutches gets on the bus and can't find a seat because all the girls have to sit? What then? I'll tell you what then- you give up your seat so that the guy with the broken leg can sit.

And for Miss Dillard's (and current or future boyfriend's) sake, I hope she's not one of those girls who always has to stay sitting in the passenger's side of the car until the boyfriend comes around and opens the door (and potentially gets mad at the boyfriend when he fails to do so). Last time I checked, I learned how to open the door for myself when I was a kid. I'm sure she did too. Again, it's a nice gesture that I appreciate, but not something entirely necessary. Polite? Yes. Disrespectful? Nope.

3 comments:

jinx protocol said...

As long as they're cooking/cleaning/making babies, I don't care what women do.

Except vote. Thank god that's never been brought up.

jinx protocol said...

What? I don't go above Textual Amusement?!? I started the revolution!!!

Claire Miller said...

see you're at the top now. happy??