Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ribbons

Every so often, when I have a large break between classes or I just need something to occupy my time after I've read the paper, I check Banterist.com. Writer Brian Sack writes all sorts of stories, from interviews with the guy who created the "Tiny House/GEICO" commercial to conversations he's overheard in New York. But I particularly like the article and website devoted to ribbons. Yes, the "support (fill in the blank)" ribbons people so frequently plaster on the back of their cars.

"See? We can make a difference. That difference starts with you. Don't be discouraged by the seemingly overwhelming task ahead of us. Though there are countless un-ribboned causes--like Fat Acceptance and Dandruff Pride--we can come up with ribbons for all of them. But we need you to help. "

You can read the article here and check out the website where you can custom-design your ribbons here.

3 comments:

jinx protocol said...

I have a ribbon to support kleptomaniacs. But, I have to admit, I stole it.

jinx protocol said...

Honestly though, the ribbon crowd has gone too far. It's one thing for a meaningless gesture to go on for a month or so, but for years? If you want to support the troops, send that effing money to the military. They don't have armor.

Claire Miller said...

hahaha exactly!